2021 Swim Team Program
With brighter days just around the corner, we are thrilled to share the plans for the 2021 RSM swim team season! The state of California and Contra Costa County have given the green light for low-contact youth sports like swimming to move forward, subject to ongoing distancing, masking, and other safety protocols in place. With everyone’s health and safety remaining our paramount concern, we’ve put together a plan that meets the guidelines and will enable every Polar Bear to get in the water for the entire duration of the season! If restrictions are further loosened by the state/county in the coming months, we’ll easily be able to pivot into our normal season regimen, so keep those paws crossed!
- Preseason: April 19 - June 2. Swimmers will be divided up into practice groups (see Groups paragraph below), and will swim three times per a week (specific times/frequencies for groups will be finalized after registration closes). Tentative times are listed below.
Age Group M-F Practice Times Sat Practice Times Polar Cubs 3:00pm-3:20pm or 3:30pm- 3:50pm 12:50pm-1:10pm 6U
11:50am-12:10pm or 12:20pm-12:40pm
10:30am-11:00am 11/12 5:50pm-6:30pm 9:40am-10:20am 13 and up 6:40pm-7:20pm or 7:30pm-8:10pm 8:00am-8:40am or 8:50am-9:30am
Regular Season: June 7 - July 24. Swimmers will be divided up into practice groups and will swim at least three times a week. Proposed schedule (subject to change) listed below.
- M/W/F: 7:30am-2:30pm
- Tu/Th/Sat: 7:30am-2:30pm
- Polar Cubs: Two Polar Cubs will be paired in the water with one swim coach wearing a face shield. Since we were unable to offer Polar Cubs last year, families who were interested in Polar Cubs last year are welcome to consider having their (now slightly older) child start with Polar Cubs if they’re unsure about rolling right into 6U. If you are interested in Polar Cubs for your child, please sign up for the Polar Cubs interest list here and we will be in touch.
- Evaluation Day: Coach Christian will host a casual evaluation day on Saturday, March 13 for any families who would like their swimmers to be evaluated for swim team placement. If your swimmer is new to swim team, please sign up for an evaluation time here.
Cost: $350 per swimmer for swim team, plus membership in good standing with the Club.
- Polar Cubs fee for returning families would be $175, with the remaining balance of $175 payable to the team due if your Polar Cub converts to the full swim team season as a 6U.
- New families interested in Polar Cubs must join the RSM Swim Club (including payment of Club membership fees) and may try Polar Cubs on a complimentary basis. New family Polar Cubs who then make the team would pay the full $350 team fee.
- Groups: Once registration closes, coaching staff will form the cohorts and get that information out to parents, including the specifics on your child’s practice schedule/time. Swimmers who are 8 years old or younger will be grouped into a stable cohort of 18 swimmers/cohort (3 swimmers per lane). Swimmers who are 9 years old or older will be grouped into a stable cohort of 24 swimmers/cohort (one swimmer starts at each end of lane, with third/fourth swimmer beginning and ending laps at lane lines to preserve distancing).
- Swim Meets: We are diligently pursuing the possibility of holding modified swim meets in some fashion this summer. Due to ongoing restrictions around distancing and capacity, there are a significant number of logistical considerations that need to be addressed, both for our team and in collaboration with teams we may have meets with. We are in frequent contact with our fellow DCSL member teams as well as other local teams and coaches, and we are monitoring the ever-evolving public health guidelines around what might be feasible. We will keep everyone posted as the season progresses. We are confident that we can give our swimmers a more normal season than last year and that we are offering a program that aligns with what local clubs are able to provide (we’re all in the same boat subject to the same issues).
- Registration Dates: Returning swim team members can register starting March 1st at 8am. New members can register starting on March 15th. Registration will close on March 21. If you are trying to register for an age group which is full, please join our waitlist and we will do our best to accommodate as many families as we can.
If you have any problems registering your swimmers online, please email the registration secretary.